Completed in 1847, the grounds were home to the Cherokee Courthouse prior to the displacement of the Cherokees in the Trail of Tears. The Mansion is one of very few remaining structures used by both Union and Confederate forces during the Battle of Chickamauga in September 1863. Union General William Rosecrans used the parlor of the home as his headquarters during that battle. Both Union and Confederate troops were treated in the field hospital in the house and on the grounds during that battle. The Mansion is owned by the City of Chickamauga and may be rented for weddings and other events. The Friends of the Gordon-Lee Mansion conduct tours each Saturday from Memorial Day until Labor Day, spring tours in conjunction with Down Home Days in May, and candle light tours the first two weekends in Dec.
Image credit: http://leeandgordonsmills.com/
Originally constructed in 1850, the house was one of the few buildings within sight of the skirmishes that took place the week before the landmark Battle of Chickamauga in September 1863.
Image credit: Brandon Fletcher, September 22, 2013
Chickamauga Battlefield just north of the City honors the soldiers who fought September 19-20, 1863.
Image credit: https://www.nps.gov/chch/learn/historyculture/places.htm